At the Innovation Game between the history-charged German Bundesliga club 1. FC Köln and the reigning Italian football champion AC Milan, several startups were showcasing innovative solutions to improve the game experience for fans in the stadium and in front of the TV. With the club, collectID got the chance to develop a case involving fans at the stadium.
Fans who purchased a ticket for the Innovation Game obtained a fan scarf with an embedded NFC chip that was storing their digital ticket. As a result, fans who registered ownership of their scarf could simply scan it at the entrance then be admitted to the stadium. Not only did fans not need to print their ticket or pull their phone at the entrance, but the club could also make sure its supporters would show up in the club’s traditional colors, establishing a dominant home atmosphere at the RheinEnergieSTADION.
Obviously, the entrance to the stadium is only the beginning of a memorable experience. Thus, the collectID solution was used to communicate with fans during the game, including them during the game’s course that was happening on the pitch in real time. For example, ahead of the kick-off, fans received access to exclusive content from the team’s arrival at the stadium.
During the second half of the game, fans with a registered scarf were invited to a free pretzel. Later, once the home team scored their first goal, fans received a promotional offer for a free player flock with every purchase of the new season’s jersey. Those are just a few examples of in-game activations. Overall, the augmented stadium experience was well received among fans and provided a welcome innovation to make the physical game visit more entertaining and memorable.
Create a unique community experience
Benefits for fans:
- Storing the ticket for the game directly on fan merchandise.
- Receiving real-life benefits in real-time, based on events happening on the pitch in the course of the game.
- Becoming part of the game through an immersive stadium experience.
Benefits for 1. FC Köln:
- Creating commercial opportunities for up-selling at the stadium (catering, fan shop, etc.).
- Ensuring that the stadium is filled with fans representing the club’s colors as fans are required to bring their merchandise to access the stadium.
- Providing further incentives to attend the game at the stadium through an elevated fan experience.